Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
Letter Of Bro. W. J. Hughan, Of England, To The Grand Lodge Of Ohio.
In the paper for May 18 , 1738 , is the following : " Last Tuesday the Right Honourable the Marquis of Carnarvon , Grand Master of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Freemasons , attended by the other Grand officers , etc ., did Mr . Gordon the honour to constitute a lodge
at his house , the New Exchange Punchbowl in the Strand , where everything was conducted in order and concluded in brotherly harmony . " * We can not decide now Avhich lodge this notice refers to . Our list for that
period and a few succeeding years , gives " 125 Angel and Crown , Crispin Street , Spitlal-fieids , May 3 , 173 S , " and " 130 Anchor and Crown , King Street , Seven Dials , January 27 , 1738 . " It was probably the first of these two . The places of meeting , when held at inns or hotels
, sometimes changed several times in a year , and so the names of such public places of resort are of little use in tracing old lodges ; and unfortunately , in early days , the lodges were rarely distinguished by permanent names as now . The Marquis
of Carnarvon was installed Grand Master at Fishmongers' Hall , April 21 , 173 Sf , after the customary "Procession of march , ivith the band of musick . " In the St . James' Evening Post occur several most interesting and curious notices of
Provincial Masonic meetings . We reproduce a few , as their preservation , as well as circulation , for the information of Masonic students is most desirable . Doubtless also my friends will reprint this article for that purpose ; and thus increase its circle of influence .
Salisbury , September 1 , 1733 . "We hear from Salisbury that last week there was held a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons at Mr . Edward Randall ' s , at the sign of the ' Three Lions and Greyhound , ' in the same city , at which were present
His Grace the Duke of Richmond , one of the late Grand Masters of that ancient aud honourable society , and Stet Fox Esq , M . P . for Shastou ; and we hear that a lodge will be held at the same house the first and last Wednesday of each month . " Th lod
ere was a ge constituted at " Salisbury at the Ram , 27 December 1732 , and -meet first and third AVednesday " ( constitutions 1738 ) . After survivhi " the effects of many changes in that ancient city , the lodge finally collapsed in 1801 at
, No . 34 , having been erased for " not conforming to the laws of the society . " A strange fatality appears to have affected the lodges warranted in 1732 , for the one at Salisbury was the last of that year . To this day there are several on the roll of the
preceding and succeeding years . Gloucester ( St . James' Evening Post ) , May 18 , 1738 . "Lodge constituted at the AVhcatsheaf , at Gloster , by virtue of certain powers of the Earl of Darnley . "
Halifax , May 22 , 1738 . " Lodge constituted at the Talbot . " These two notices , brief as they are , serve to announce the advent of two old lodges . The warrant of the former was dated 2 Sth March , 1738 . At the " Union of ISIS , " the number was changed from 61 to 84 in 1832 to 73 and
, , in 1863 its present number was fixed at 61 . The name of the lodge is the Probity , and it is held at the Freemasons' Hall , Halifax , having been held for a period of one hundred and thirty-eight years in the same town for which the warrant was
originally granted . Bath , October 30 , 1738 . —The Prince of Wales being at Bath for the benefit of his health , " an extraordinary lodge was held at the ' Bear' Tavern , at which were present Earl Darnley , late G . M . 'John Ward ,
; Esq ., D . G . M . ; Sir Edward Mansell , Bart ., Dr . Desaguliers , and other brethren , in honour of the day , and in respect to his Royal Highness , who is a brother . Note . —The day was the king ' s birthday . "
A warrant was granted for a lodge at Bath , A . D . 1733 , and it has been regularly worked in that city from that time to the present . It is called the " Royal Cumberland" and meets at the Masonic Hall , Old Orchard Street , Its history has been well written by one of its esteemed Past Masters , Brother Ashley ; and a curious and interesting account has been woven
Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
Letter Of Bro. W. J. Hughan, Of England, To The Grand Lodge Of Ohio.
In the paper for May 18 , 1738 , is the following : " Last Tuesday the Right Honourable the Marquis of Carnarvon , Grand Master of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Freemasons , attended by the other Grand officers , etc ., did Mr . Gordon the honour to constitute a lodge
at his house , the New Exchange Punchbowl in the Strand , where everything was conducted in order and concluded in brotherly harmony . " * We can not decide now Avhich lodge this notice refers to . Our list for that
period and a few succeeding years , gives " 125 Angel and Crown , Crispin Street , Spitlal-fieids , May 3 , 173 S , " and " 130 Anchor and Crown , King Street , Seven Dials , January 27 , 1738 . " It was probably the first of these two . The places of meeting , when held at inns or hotels
, sometimes changed several times in a year , and so the names of such public places of resort are of little use in tracing old lodges ; and unfortunately , in early days , the lodges were rarely distinguished by permanent names as now . The Marquis
of Carnarvon was installed Grand Master at Fishmongers' Hall , April 21 , 173 Sf , after the customary "Procession of march , ivith the band of musick . " In the St . James' Evening Post occur several most interesting and curious notices of
Provincial Masonic meetings . We reproduce a few , as their preservation , as well as circulation , for the information of Masonic students is most desirable . Doubtless also my friends will reprint this article for that purpose ; and thus increase its circle of influence .
Salisbury , September 1 , 1733 . "We hear from Salisbury that last week there was held a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons at Mr . Edward Randall ' s , at the sign of the ' Three Lions and Greyhound , ' in the same city , at which were present
His Grace the Duke of Richmond , one of the late Grand Masters of that ancient aud honourable society , and Stet Fox Esq , M . P . for Shastou ; and we hear that a lodge will be held at the same house the first and last Wednesday of each month . " Th lod
ere was a ge constituted at " Salisbury at the Ram , 27 December 1732 , and -meet first and third AVednesday " ( constitutions 1738 ) . After survivhi " the effects of many changes in that ancient city , the lodge finally collapsed in 1801 at
, No . 34 , having been erased for " not conforming to the laws of the society . " A strange fatality appears to have affected the lodges warranted in 1732 , for the one at Salisbury was the last of that year . To this day there are several on the roll of the
preceding and succeeding years . Gloucester ( St . James' Evening Post ) , May 18 , 1738 . "Lodge constituted at the AVhcatsheaf , at Gloster , by virtue of certain powers of the Earl of Darnley . "
Halifax , May 22 , 1738 . " Lodge constituted at the Talbot . " These two notices , brief as they are , serve to announce the advent of two old lodges . The warrant of the former was dated 2 Sth March , 1738 . At the " Union of ISIS , " the number was changed from 61 to 84 in 1832 to 73 and
, , in 1863 its present number was fixed at 61 . The name of the lodge is the Probity , and it is held at the Freemasons' Hall , Halifax , having been held for a period of one hundred and thirty-eight years in the same town for which the warrant was
originally granted . Bath , October 30 , 1738 . —The Prince of Wales being at Bath for the benefit of his health , " an extraordinary lodge was held at the ' Bear' Tavern , at which were present Earl Darnley , late G . M . 'John Ward ,
; Esq ., D . G . M . ; Sir Edward Mansell , Bart ., Dr . Desaguliers , and other brethren , in honour of the day , and in respect to his Royal Highness , who is a brother . Note . —The day was the king ' s birthday . "
A warrant was granted for a lodge at Bath , A . D . 1733 , and it has been regularly worked in that city from that time to the present . It is called the " Royal Cumberland" and meets at the Masonic Hall , Old Orchard Street , Its history has been well written by one of its esteemed Past Masters , Brother Ashley ; and a curious and interesting account has been woven