Skip to main content
Museum of Freemasonry

Masonic Periodicals Online

  • Explore
  • Advanced Search
  • Home
  • Explore
  • The Freemason
  • May 20, 1876
  • Page 12
  • LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON.
Current:

The Freemason, May 20, 1876: Page 12

  • Back to The Freemason, May 20, 1876
  • Print image
  • Articles/Ads
    Article Original Correspondence. ← Page 2 of 2
    Article Multum in Parbo; or Masonic Notes and Queries. Page 1 of 1
    Article LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON. Page 1 of 1
    Article LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON. Page 1 of 1
    Article PRESENTATION TO SIR FREDERICK. M. WILLIAMS, BART., M.P. Page 1 of 1
Page 12

Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.

Original Correspondence.

My query was , Are those ( which M . 0 . now calls presentation jewels ) according to thc Book of Constitutions any more jewels than those which you find attached to many a brother ' s watch chain ? " If he should become eligible to attend Grand Lodge , & c . " If Bro . M . O . refers to R . W . O . hc can put thc " if he should become " in thc waste basket as things of the

past . Will Bro . M . O . be good enough to explain the latter part of the Art . 22 , p . 69 , Edition 1871 , of the Book of Constitutions from " Except such honorary or other jewels as shall be consistent with those degrees recognised by the Grand Lodge as part of ancient Freemasonry ?" There has been a great deal wiitten of late about Grand

Lodges—Grand Lodge of York , Grand Lodge of All England , & c . ; but I have not had the pleasure of seeing anything about the Grand Lodge for Surrey . Unless the printer ' s d—1 had a finger in the pie an explanation of the last line of M . O . will clear up the matter . " Past Grand Jun . Warden for Surrey . " Yours fraternally , R . W . O .

Multum In Parbo; Or Masonic Notes And Queries.

Multum in Parbo ; or Masonic Notes and Queries .

SOME REMARKS ON THE EXTRACTS FROM THK SHEFFIELD CHAPTER OF PARADISE MINIJTE BOOKS . Bv BRO ., REV . WILLIAM TEBBS . At our first introduction to it this chapter seems to have been in much the same position as that of Royal Arch chapters in America prior to the year 1797 ( when , as Mackey tells us , they were by a convention of delegates

from the several chapters in Pennsylvania , placed under the control of a Grantl Chapter , then first organized and severed from that of the symbolic degrees ) , for we find a " Companion Wilcockson , who had not served the ofiice of King , on July , 16 th , 1788 , gave his authority to assemble when andwherethey pleased , " and it is not until iSco , 1801 , that we find the general business of the chapter conducted

according to the present received models . Wc also find the American precedence of officers in vogue , for in the first mention of their election in 1784 we find the first "Kingly" chair occupied by the " High Priest , " there being also but one Scribe . This title " King , " of thc occupants of the Principals ' chairs seems to point cither to thc recognition of thc

American degrees of Select antl Super-excellent Masters ; or els- ; would favour the idea that those three chairs were idled by representatives of thc Magi ; upon their probable connexion with Masonry some rcmaiks , may , at some future time , be submitted to the attention of the Craft . In the year 1788 the entire working seems to have been altered and remoulded upon the Irish system hy two

visiting companions , Boyle and Macelre y ( Bro . E'lis suggests Mac Elroy , perhaps a better suggestion , by a modern analogy of pronounciation , would be McLcroy ) for we find that the titles of "Kings" were immediately dropped and the substitution made of " High Pri .-st , "afterwards "Revd . High Priest , " 2 , [ j . ] , Royal Arch Captain ; 3 , M . E . Grand Masters [ of Vai's ] ; J . A . and E . B .

[ . ' Captain of Host and Principal Sojourner ] ; antl h . antl N ; also " Ninctor " [ ? Janitor . ] " Super-excellent" is also used openly for the first time—one companion being said to have been " further initiated in this Sublime Degree . " After the year 1800 ( as before remarked ) the procedure of the chapter was gradually changed into that now received , until in 1807 the minutes of thc S . G . and R . C .

of R . A . C . of England were read , and the new constitution seems to have been fully adopted , thc names of those companions under the old constitution being given on page 76 ; this and the preceding pages being copies of lists forwarded to Grand Chapter , London , whilst succeeding ones contain copies of the certificate forwarded to the Clerk of the Peace . After this date too the proper titles of

officers seem to have been adopted . One fact worthy of remark seems that even after this date Mark Degrees were conferred by thc chapter , but that thc Select and Supcr-cxccllcnt features seem to have entirely disappeared . Did space permit there arc one or two other features well worthy of remark , such as Sunday being the d * iy of

meeting ; thc jumble of terms , " raised . " " passed , " " exalted ;" the use of the term " encampment " ( sometimes lodge , although never council ); " Sublime- " Degree , the giving a First Degree Craft Lecture on certain Master Masons joining the companions . The monogram can hardly be entered into here further than to suggest that the "T" on the " H " might either

refer to H . A . B . of Tyre or to thc batlgc of the R . A . Degree . One point more is worthy of notice . Bro . Boyle is called " a Mason of the world , he having certificates from the Four Grand Lodges of the world . " What were these Four Grand Lodges ; as at this date there were some fourand-twenty in existence ?

Respecting thc omitted meeting in April , 1 7 , 84 , by the * room being otherwise occupied , " Boaz " could not surely be thc correct reading of the name of the interloper . I : i the paragraph referred to the legible portion is given in a different manner at each repetition—once " Boa "—once " Bro . and A . " Now what so feasible as that the socalled " Freemasons' Hall" formed part of some house

of entertainment , bearing its name simply from its being rented by the br . thrcn and companions ; ( such is the case with . 1 chapter-room in the West of England now ) , and that at certain times the room was used for ordinary purposes . The contraction might then stand for cither " Boarders " or " Brokers , " as dealers , in household stuffs , & c . ( probably travellers ) , were then called .

Laying The Foundation Stone Of A New Church At Nuneaton.

LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON .

On Wednesday , 2 filh uIt ., t ! ieo ! d town of Nuneaton , which generally lies so still and quiet on thc banks of thc littl e river Anker , a river which has been the theme of poets , who have sung its praises in epic and in sonnet , threw off its apparent lethargy , and spread its beams of

varied hue and somewhat fanciful designs to the gentle breeze and genial sun of a fine April day . The occasion was a memorable one . for after the lapse of some six or seven centuries th : inhabitants were about to commence the re-erection of the ancient nunnery which gave the town its distinctive name . The old Abbey Church of Nuneaton owed its

foundation to thc piety and generosity of Robert Bossu , one of the Norman Earls of Leicester , in the 12 th century . He gave the plot of land on wbich thc few crumbling ruins , which mark the site of this old religious foundation , now stands , in gaunt array , on the north-western side of Nuneaton , to thc Benedictine nuns , of the order of Fontefrault , an order that was remarkable for associatin" * monks and

nuns under the same foundation . Thc Abbey thus begun received , like many ether similar communities , considerable possessions in benefactions and gifts . Whether the piers of the central tower of the cruciform church , which yet remain , were part of the original church , cannot be positively slated ; but if it were so , it is obvious that the conventual buildings were not completed for many years

after the original foundation in 115 , 0 . Now , however , it is proposed to rebuild thc nave of the church in the transitional style which prevailed in the early part of the 13 th century . This work has been entrusted to Mr . Clapton Rolfe , of Reading , who has combined some of thc marked features of the late Norman period of architecture with the first and simple forms of the first pointed period of

Gothic architecture , and thc plans are so arranged that they can be carried out in detail until the entire plan of the original church is reproduced . He has been assisted in some of the details by the excellent view of the ruins published by Buck in 1721 ) . The occasion of this restoration we gather from an appeal issued by the Building Committee . It appears that in the month of June , 1 S 69 . Mr .

Thomas Bottrill died , having iratle a large fe ; r ( une in the trade of Nuneaton , and , desiring to benefit his native town , bequeathed by his will the sum of £ 400 towards thc budding , and the sum of /* 2 ,- ; oo f ir the endowment of a new distiict church in Nuneaton , provided such church should be built antl consecrated within the period of ten years after his decease . Mr . Bottrill also bequeathed thc sum

of £ zt , per a-inuni for ten years after his death to be paid to the minister officiating atthe Abbey-street School room . The town of Nuneaton contains 4547 inhabitants , antl thc parish church affords accommodation for 1 , 50 c only . A considerable portion of the inhabitants reside at a distance from the parish church , and since the bequest of Mr . Bollrill service .-- have been held every Sunday in the

National Schools , in Abbey Street , licensed by the bishop for public worship . These services have been largely attended , and the accommodation is quite insufficient for the numbers attending . In order to carry e > ut the intentions of Mr . Bollrill , and to secure to the inhabitants of Nuneaton his munificent bequests , thc committee ( formed of subscribers to the iiitcntlcd church ) put themselves in

communication with Mr . James Tomkinson , the principal owner of land atthe Abbey Street end of thc town , antl hc has with great generosity presented an acre and a half of land , upon which formerly stood the church belonging to Nuneaton Abbey , the foundations antl some of the pillars of which are still in existence . He has also given sufficient land to allow of the construction of a carriage road

from Abbey Street antl a footpath from the Meadow to the church . Of thc sum ( £ 2 *; oo required ) £ i , Soo and upwa * d has been promised , and this received substantial additions yesterday by the gifts of the Freemasons and assembled visitors . This sum eUits not , however , include the value of the land antl roadway , estimated at £ 600 . Only three yeais of the time stipulated by Mr . Bottrill

remains unexpired , and a number of ladies ' are busily engaged aiding the building committee in raising the remainder of the sum required . It is proposed to assign a distiict to the church when finished , & mi thus supply a want which George Eliot pointed out in those powci ful " Scenes of Clerical Life , " which embody some of the annals of Nuneaton and its neighbourhood .

Tlie brethren from thc province assembled at the Town Hall at one o ' clock , when thc Abbey Lodge , and afterwards the Provincial Grand Lodge , were opened . The business of the Grand Lodge having been concluded , a procession was formed in the usual Masonic order , and the brethren proceeded to the site of the nceT church . The Provincial Grand Officers present included Lord Leigh ,

P . G . M . ; Lieutenant-Colonel Machen , D . P . G . M . ; Bros . J . Bragg , P . G . S . W . ; Captain Salt , P . G J . W . ; Revs . W . Randall and F . M . Beaumont , P . G . Chaplains ; G . Beech , P . G . S . ; R . C . Sinclair , P . G . S . D ; [ . R . Chirm , P . G . Supt . W . ; H Sanderson , P . G . A . D . C ; W . II . Webb , P . G . S . B ; , C . F Rowe , P . G . O . ; G . Baker , P . G . P . ; J . Coates , P . G . T . There was also a large attendance of Worshipful Masters

Past Masters , Wardens , and Brethren of thc various lodges in the provinw . Arriving at Ihe site of the new church , the Provincial Grand Master , Lonl Leigh , took his seat near the stone , with the Deputy Provincial Grantl Master , and other Provincial Grantl Officers near . The Rev . W . Rxndall , P . G . C , having offered pravcr ,

liie Rev . II . VV . Bellairs , vicar , and chairman of the Church Building Committee , presented to the Grand Master the inscription on the sbine and copies of the proceedings , and , iu thc name of the town , gratefully thanked Lord Leigh for th ; honour done them in laying the foundation-stone . Bro , G . Beech , P . G . S ., then read the insciiption , which

Laying The Foundation Stone Of A New Church At Nuneaton.

was as follows : — " Provincial Grand Lodge of Ancient Free , and Accepted Masons of Warwickshire . —At a specia meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge , held ta the Abbey Lodge , Nuneaton , on Wednesday , thc 26 th April , 1876 , in the 40 th year of the reign of her gracious Majesty Queen Victoria , this , the foundation-stone of St . Mary ' s Abbey Church , Nuneaton , was laid , in solemn form and

according to ancient usage , by the Right Honourable William Henry Lord Leigh , Lord-Lieutenant , and Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Warwickshire , assisted by the Worshipful Brother Colonel Machen , Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Warwickshire , thc Worshipful Brother John Bragg , Prov . Senior Grand Warden ; the Worshipful Brother Captain Salt , Prov .

Junior Grand Warden ; Brother the Rev . W . Randall , Brother the Rev . F . M . Beaumont , P . Grand Chaplains ; George Beech , Provincial Grand Secretary ; and in the presence of a numerous body of P . Grand Officers , Past P . Grand Officers , and Brethren of the Province of Warwickshire . " Copies of several newspapers , the inscription , a prayer

book , and various coins of the realm , enclosed in a tin box , having been placed in a cavity in the stone , thc mortar was spreael and the stone lowered . The trowel and the usual working tools of a mason were then handed to the Provincial Grand Master by the architect , the Deputy-Provincial Grantl Master and Wardens , antl Lord Leigh strewetl corn and poured wine antl oil on thc stone ,

emblematic of plenty , joy , nnd peace . Upon the mallet being handed to him , Lord Leigh said that before vising it , it might be interesting to those present to know that the malli-t which he had the honour of holding in his hand , was the identical mallet with which King Charles laid the first stone of St . Paul ' s Cathedral , in 1 C 175 . ( Hear , hear . ) His Majesty then

presented it to their illustrious and eminent brother , thc great architect . Sir Christopher Wren . At his death Sir Christopher Wren left it to Lotlge Antiquity , No . 2 , in London ^ antl that Lotlge was presie'ed over at this moment by their illuMrious brother , Peince Leopold ( Applause- ) Owing to the kindness of Brother Dr . Erasmus WH > on , and the brethren of the Lodge Antiquity , an officer from the lodge

had been sei . t down with thc mallet for him ( Lord Leigh ) to have the honour of using on that occasion . His lordship then dcdaied the stone well and truly fixjd . Brother Beech , P . G S ., according to cus ' om , deposited a sum of money or . the stone for the workmen , and " God •¦ avethe Queen " hav ng been sung by the choi ? , Lord Leigh , addressed thc assembly , having furthe

announced that the Freemasons present that day had contributed £ 50 , which would be paid over by thc Provincial Grand Secretary in aid of the work . The Rev . M . Beaumont , P . G . C , delivered an address , •eftcr which a collection was matle in aid of the building funtl . The procession re-formed , and the brethren returned to the Town I lall , where the Provincial Grand I odge was

r . sumed and closet ' . A banquet , which was well attended , afterwards took place . During thc excavations between the piers of the central tower and the eastern part of the nave , many remains of the original structure have been found . These consist of a small cross , within a circle , inscribed on soft red sandstone , similar to the consecration crosses of the late

Norman period . The carved heads from eavc mouldings , thc fragments of carved stone of no special distinguishing character appears to be thc cap of a pillar , and a number of tiles ; one of the tiles bears the arms of thc Bcauchamps Earls of Warwick , another a lion passant gardant , and the ethers bear some geometric patterns , but they do not equal in number , variety , and beauty , those found on the same spot many years ago , drawings of which are in the possession cfMr . J . T . Burgess , of Leamington .

Presentation To Sir Frederick. M. Williams, Bart., M.P.

PRESENTATION TO SIR FREDERICK . M . WILLIAMS , BART ., M . P .

On thc 4 U 1 inst . the members of thc Cornwall Rose Croix Chapter , TVuro , through their M . W . 3 ., Colonel John Whitehead Peard , 30 ° ( in open chapter ) , presented to the 111 . Bro . Sir . F . M . Williams , But ., M . P ., 32 , a handsome P . M . S . jewel , in appreciation cf his valuable

services as thc first M . W . S . of the Chapter . Notwithstanding his many duties Sir . F . M . Williams had never been absent from any assembly of the Chapter since its constitution , and not only had he presented thc furniture of the chapter , but in every nay possible , as M . W . S ., he had endeavoured to promote thc true interests of the Ancient and Accepted Rite , now firmly planted in

Cornwall . On the rjth inst . the members of the Centenary Lotlge of Fortitude assembled in large numbers to witness the presentation to the R . W . Bro . Sir F . M . Williams , Bart ., P . G . W ., and Representative eif the Grand Orient of Portugal , of a Deputy Prov . Grand Master's jewel of Cornwall , by the Senior l ' . ist Master , on behalf of the members

of the lodge , who thus desire to exhibit their appreciation of Sir F . M . Williams ' s devotion to Freemasonary in general , and his important and substantial aid to the Great Misonie Charities th . ; Local Masonic Annuity Fund , antl indeed , for any good Masonic work . The worthy Baronet in ' ri-p ' ysaid , that what little he hael done had been not only glanly rendered on behalf of the belovctl Craft , but the duty had proved a great pleasure .

The gift woultl be highly valued by him , and that evening was to him the most memorable in his Masonic career VV . Bro . William James Hughan was called upon by the brethren to speak , and in response to the demand presented brief sketches of what Sir Frederick M . Williams had achieved for Freemasonry , and his short , telling speeches were enthusiastically received . The jewels gave great satisfaction .

“The Freemason: 1876-05-20, Page 12” Masonic Periodicals Online, Library and Museum of Freemasonry, 31 Aug. 2025, django:8000/periodicals/fvl/issues/fvl_20051876/page/12/.
  • List
  • Grid
Title Category Page
TABLE OF CONTENTS. Article 1
REPORTS OF MASONIC MEETINGS. Article 1
Royal Arch. Article 4
Mark Masonry. Article 5
Red Cross of Constantine. Article 5
Scotland. Article 5
ADDRESS TO THE M.W. GRAND MASTER BY THE ST. JOHN'S LODGE, TORQUAY NO. 328. Article 6
Masonic and General Tidings. Article 6
FREEMASONRY AND ROMAN CATHOLICISM. Article 7
EDINBURGH ROYAL BLIND ASYLUM AND SCHOOL. Article 7
INVESTITURE OF THE ORDER OF THE BATH. Article 7
TO OUR READERS Article 8
TO ADVERTISERS. Article 8
Answers to Correspondents. Article 8
ROYAL MASONIC BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION. Article 8
Births, Marriages, and Deaths. Article 8
Untitled Article 8
OUR GRAND MASTER AT HOME AGAIN. Article 8
ARE WE GOING TO HAVE A MASONIC RECEPTION FOR THE PRINCE OF WALES ? Article 10
THE GIRLS' SCHOOL FESTIVAL. Article 10
HAS THE CHURCH OF ROME A MORAL RIGHT TO EXCOMMUNICATE FREEMASONS ? Article 10
HYPERCRITICISM. Article 10
Original Correspondence. Article 11
Multum in Parbo; or Masonic Notes and Queries. Article 12
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON. Article 12
PRESENTATION TO SIR FREDERICK. M. WILLIAMS, BART., M.P. Article 12
CONSECRATION OF THE " RICHARD GIDDY " LODGE, AT KIMBERLEY, SOUTH AFRICA. Article 13
CONSECRATION OF THE " BAYARD" LODGE, NO. 1615. Article 13
PROVINCIAL GRAND MARK LODGE OF BRISTOL. Article 14
METROPOLITAN MASONIC MEETINGS. For the Week ending Friday, May 26, 1876. Article 14
MASONIC MEETINGS IN WEST LANCASHIRE AND CHESHIRE. Article 14
MASONIC MEETINGS IN GLASGOW AND WEST OF SCOTLAND. Article 14
MASONIC MEETINGS IN EDINBURGH AND VICINITY. Article 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Page 1

Page 1

4 Articles
Page 2

Page 2

3 Articles
Page 3

Page 3

3 Articles
Page 4

Page 4

4 Articles
Page 5

Page 5

6 Articles
Page 6

Page 6

4 Articles
Page 7

Page 7

5 Articles
Page 8

Page 8

8 Articles
Page 9

Page 9

3 Articles
Page 10

Page 10

7 Articles
Page 11

Page 11

4 Articles
Page 12

Page 12

5 Articles
Page 13

Page 13

4 Articles
Page 14

Page 14

12 Articles
Page 12

Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.

Original Correspondence.

My query was , Are those ( which M . 0 . now calls presentation jewels ) according to thc Book of Constitutions any more jewels than those which you find attached to many a brother ' s watch chain ? " If he should become eligible to attend Grand Lodge , & c . " If Bro . M . O . refers to R . W . O . hc can put thc " if he should become " in thc waste basket as things of the

past . Will Bro . M . O . be good enough to explain the latter part of the Art . 22 , p . 69 , Edition 1871 , of the Book of Constitutions from " Except such honorary or other jewels as shall be consistent with those degrees recognised by the Grand Lodge as part of ancient Freemasonry ?" There has been a great deal wiitten of late about Grand

Lodges—Grand Lodge of York , Grand Lodge of All England , & c . ; but I have not had the pleasure of seeing anything about the Grand Lodge for Surrey . Unless the printer ' s d—1 had a finger in the pie an explanation of the last line of M . O . will clear up the matter . " Past Grand Jun . Warden for Surrey . " Yours fraternally , R . W . O .

Multum In Parbo; Or Masonic Notes And Queries.

Multum in Parbo ; or Masonic Notes and Queries .

SOME REMARKS ON THE EXTRACTS FROM THK SHEFFIELD CHAPTER OF PARADISE MINIJTE BOOKS . Bv BRO ., REV . WILLIAM TEBBS . At our first introduction to it this chapter seems to have been in much the same position as that of Royal Arch chapters in America prior to the year 1797 ( when , as Mackey tells us , they were by a convention of delegates

from the several chapters in Pennsylvania , placed under the control of a Grantl Chapter , then first organized and severed from that of the symbolic degrees ) , for we find a " Companion Wilcockson , who had not served the ofiice of King , on July , 16 th , 1788 , gave his authority to assemble when andwherethey pleased , " and it is not until iSco , 1801 , that we find the general business of the chapter conducted

according to the present received models . Wc also find the American precedence of officers in vogue , for in the first mention of their election in 1784 we find the first "Kingly" chair occupied by the " High Priest , " there being also but one Scribe . This title " King , " of thc occupants of the Principals ' chairs seems to point cither to thc recognition of thc

American degrees of Select antl Super-excellent Masters ; or els- ; would favour the idea that those three chairs were idled by representatives of thc Magi ; upon their probable connexion with Masonry some rcmaiks , may , at some future time , be submitted to the attention of the Craft . In the year 1788 the entire working seems to have been altered and remoulded upon the Irish system hy two

visiting companions , Boyle and Macelre y ( Bro . E'lis suggests Mac Elroy , perhaps a better suggestion , by a modern analogy of pronounciation , would be McLcroy ) for we find that the titles of "Kings" were immediately dropped and the substitution made of " High Pri .-st , "afterwards "Revd . High Priest , " 2 , [ j . ] , Royal Arch Captain ; 3 , M . E . Grand Masters [ of Vai's ] ; J . A . and E . B .

[ . ' Captain of Host and Principal Sojourner ] ; antl h . antl N ; also " Ninctor " [ ? Janitor . ] " Super-excellent" is also used openly for the first time—one companion being said to have been " further initiated in this Sublime Degree . " After the year 1800 ( as before remarked ) the procedure of the chapter was gradually changed into that now received , until in 1807 the minutes of thc S . G . and R . C .

of R . A . C . of England were read , and the new constitution seems to have been fully adopted , thc names of those companions under the old constitution being given on page 76 ; this and the preceding pages being copies of lists forwarded to Grand Chapter , London , whilst succeeding ones contain copies of the certificate forwarded to the Clerk of the Peace . After this date too the proper titles of

officers seem to have been adopted . One fact worthy of remark seems that even after this date Mark Degrees were conferred by thc chapter , but that thc Select and Supcr-cxccllcnt features seem to have entirely disappeared . Did space permit there arc one or two other features well worthy of remark , such as Sunday being the d * iy of

meeting ; thc jumble of terms , " raised . " " passed , " " exalted ;" the use of the term " encampment " ( sometimes lodge , although never council ); " Sublime- " Degree , the giving a First Degree Craft Lecture on certain Master Masons joining the companions . The monogram can hardly be entered into here further than to suggest that the "T" on the " H " might either

refer to H . A . B . of Tyre or to thc batlgc of the R . A . Degree . One point more is worthy of notice . Bro . Boyle is called " a Mason of the world , he having certificates from the Four Grand Lodges of the world . " What were these Four Grand Lodges ; as at this date there were some fourand-twenty in existence ?

Respecting thc omitted meeting in April , 1 7 , 84 , by the * room being otherwise occupied , " Boaz " could not surely be thc correct reading of the name of the interloper . I : i the paragraph referred to the legible portion is given in a different manner at each repetition—once " Boa "—once " Bro . and A . " Now what so feasible as that the socalled " Freemasons' Hall" formed part of some house

of entertainment , bearing its name simply from its being rented by the br . thrcn and companions ; ( such is the case with . 1 chapter-room in the West of England now ) , and that at certain times the room was used for ordinary purposes . The contraction might then stand for cither " Boarders " or " Brokers , " as dealers , in household stuffs , & c . ( probably travellers ) , were then called .

Laying The Foundation Stone Of A New Church At Nuneaton.

LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW CHURCH AT NUNEATON .

On Wednesday , 2 filh uIt ., t ! ieo ! d town of Nuneaton , which generally lies so still and quiet on thc banks of thc littl e river Anker , a river which has been the theme of poets , who have sung its praises in epic and in sonnet , threw off its apparent lethargy , and spread its beams of

varied hue and somewhat fanciful designs to the gentle breeze and genial sun of a fine April day . The occasion was a memorable one . for after the lapse of some six or seven centuries th : inhabitants were about to commence the re-erection of the ancient nunnery which gave the town its distinctive name . The old Abbey Church of Nuneaton owed its

foundation to thc piety and generosity of Robert Bossu , one of the Norman Earls of Leicester , in the 12 th century . He gave the plot of land on wbich thc few crumbling ruins , which mark the site of this old religious foundation , now stands , in gaunt array , on the north-western side of Nuneaton , to thc Benedictine nuns , of the order of Fontefrault , an order that was remarkable for associatin" * monks and

nuns under the same foundation . Thc Abbey thus begun received , like many ether similar communities , considerable possessions in benefactions and gifts . Whether the piers of the central tower of the cruciform church , which yet remain , were part of the original church , cannot be positively slated ; but if it were so , it is obvious that the conventual buildings were not completed for many years

after the original foundation in 115 , 0 . Now , however , it is proposed to rebuild thc nave of the church in the transitional style which prevailed in the early part of the 13 th century . This work has been entrusted to Mr . Clapton Rolfe , of Reading , who has combined some of thc marked features of the late Norman period of architecture with the first and simple forms of the first pointed period of

Gothic architecture , and thc plans are so arranged that they can be carried out in detail until the entire plan of the original church is reproduced . He has been assisted in some of the details by the excellent view of the ruins published by Buck in 1721 ) . The occasion of this restoration we gather from an appeal issued by the Building Committee . It appears that in the month of June , 1 S 69 . Mr .

Thomas Bottrill died , having iratle a large fe ; r ( une in the trade of Nuneaton , and , desiring to benefit his native town , bequeathed by his will the sum of £ 400 towards thc budding , and the sum of /* 2 ,- ; oo f ir the endowment of a new distiict church in Nuneaton , provided such church should be built antl consecrated within the period of ten years after his decease . Mr . Bottrill also bequeathed thc sum

of £ zt , per a-inuni for ten years after his death to be paid to the minister officiating atthe Abbey-street School room . The town of Nuneaton contains 4547 inhabitants , antl thc parish church affords accommodation for 1 , 50 c only . A considerable portion of the inhabitants reside at a distance from the parish church , and since the bequest of Mr . Bollrill service .-- have been held every Sunday in the

National Schools , in Abbey Street , licensed by the bishop for public worship . These services have been largely attended , and the accommodation is quite insufficient for the numbers attending . In order to carry e > ut the intentions of Mr . Bollrill , and to secure to the inhabitants of Nuneaton his munificent bequests , thc committee ( formed of subscribers to the iiitcntlcd church ) put themselves in

communication with Mr . James Tomkinson , the principal owner of land atthe Abbey Street end of thc town , antl hc has with great generosity presented an acre and a half of land , upon which formerly stood the church belonging to Nuneaton Abbey , the foundations antl some of the pillars of which are still in existence . He has also given sufficient land to allow of the construction of a carriage road

from Abbey Street antl a footpath from the Meadow to the church . Of thc sum ( £ 2 *; oo required ) £ i , Soo and upwa * d has been promised , and this received substantial additions yesterday by the gifts of the Freemasons and assembled visitors . This sum eUits not , however , include the value of the land antl roadway , estimated at £ 600 . Only three yeais of the time stipulated by Mr . Bottrill

remains unexpired , and a number of ladies ' are busily engaged aiding the building committee in raising the remainder of the sum required . It is proposed to assign a distiict to the church when finished , & mi thus supply a want which George Eliot pointed out in those powci ful " Scenes of Clerical Life , " which embody some of the annals of Nuneaton and its neighbourhood .

Tlie brethren from thc province assembled at the Town Hall at one o ' clock , when thc Abbey Lodge , and afterwards the Provincial Grand Lodge , were opened . The business of the Grand Lodge having been concluded , a procession was formed in the usual Masonic order , and the brethren proceeded to the site of the nceT church . The Provincial Grand Officers present included Lord Leigh ,

P . G . M . ; Lieutenant-Colonel Machen , D . P . G . M . ; Bros . J . Bragg , P . G . S . W . ; Captain Salt , P . G J . W . ; Revs . W . Randall and F . M . Beaumont , P . G . Chaplains ; G . Beech , P . G . S . ; R . C . Sinclair , P . G . S . D ; [ . R . Chirm , P . G . Supt . W . ; H Sanderson , P . G . A . D . C ; W . II . Webb , P . G . S . B ; , C . F Rowe , P . G . O . ; G . Baker , P . G . P . ; J . Coates , P . G . T . There was also a large attendance of Worshipful Masters

Past Masters , Wardens , and Brethren of thc various lodges in the provinw . Arriving at Ihe site of the new church , the Provincial Grand Master , Lonl Leigh , took his seat near the stone , with the Deputy Provincial Grantl Master , and other Provincial Grantl Officers near . The Rev . W . Rxndall , P . G . C , having offered pravcr ,

liie Rev . II . VV . Bellairs , vicar , and chairman of the Church Building Committee , presented to the Grand Master the inscription on the sbine and copies of the proceedings , and , iu thc name of the town , gratefully thanked Lord Leigh for th ; honour done them in laying the foundation-stone . Bro , G . Beech , P . G . S ., then read the insciiption , which

Laying The Foundation Stone Of A New Church At Nuneaton.

was as follows : — " Provincial Grand Lodge of Ancient Free , and Accepted Masons of Warwickshire . —At a specia meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge , held ta the Abbey Lodge , Nuneaton , on Wednesday , thc 26 th April , 1876 , in the 40 th year of the reign of her gracious Majesty Queen Victoria , this , the foundation-stone of St . Mary ' s Abbey Church , Nuneaton , was laid , in solemn form and

according to ancient usage , by the Right Honourable William Henry Lord Leigh , Lord-Lieutenant , and Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Warwickshire , assisted by the Worshipful Brother Colonel Machen , Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Warwickshire , thc Worshipful Brother John Bragg , Prov . Senior Grand Warden ; the Worshipful Brother Captain Salt , Prov .

Junior Grand Warden ; Brother the Rev . W . Randall , Brother the Rev . F . M . Beaumont , P . Grand Chaplains ; George Beech , Provincial Grand Secretary ; and in the presence of a numerous body of P . Grand Officers , Past P . Grand Officers , and Brethren of the Province of Warwickshire . " Copies of several newspapers , the inscription , a prayer

book , and various coins of the realm , enclosed in a tin box , having been placed in a cavity in the stone , thc mortar was spreael and the stone lowered . The trowel and the usual working tools of a mason were then handed to the Provincial Grand Master by the architect , the Deputy-Provincial Grantl Master and Wardens , antl Lord Leigh strewetl corn and poured wine antl oil on thc stone ,

emblematic of plenty , joy , nnd peace . Upon the mallet being handed to him , Lord Leigh said that before vising it , it might be interesting to those present to know that the malli-t which he had the honour of holding in his hand , was the identical mallet with which King Charles laid the first stone of St . Paul ' s Cathedral , in 1 C 175 . ( Hear , hear . ) His Majesty then

presented it to their illustrious and eminent brother , thc great architect . Sir Christopher Wren . At his death Sir Christopher Wren left it to Lotlge Antiquity , No . 2 , in London ^ antl that Lotlge was presie'ed over at this moment by their illuMrious brother , Peince Leopold ( Applause- ) Owing to the kindness of Brother Dr . Erasmus WH > on , and the brethren of the Lodge Antiquity , an officer from the lodge

had been sei . t down with thc mallet for him ( Lord Leigh ) to have the honour of using on that occasion . His lordship then dcdaied the stone well and truly fixjd . Brother Beech , P . G S ., according to cus ' om , deposited a sum of money or . the stone for the workmen , and " God •¦ avethe Queen " hav ng been sung by the choi ? , Lord Leigh , addressed thc assembly , having furthe

announced that the Freemasons present that day had contributed £ 50 , which would be paid over by thc Provincial Grand Secretary in aid of the work . The Rev . M . Beaumont , P . G . C , delivered an address , •eftcr which a collection was matle in aid of the building funtl . The procession re-formed , and the brethren returned to the Town I lall , where the Provincial Grand I odge was

r . sumed and closet ' . A banquet , which was well attended , afterwards took place . During thc excavations between the piers of the central tower and the eastern part of the nave , many remains of the original structure have been found . These consist of a small cross , within a circle , inscribed on soft red sandstone , similar to the consecration crosses of the late

Norman period . The carved heads from eavc mouldings , thc fragments of carved stone of no special distinguishing character appears to be thc cap of a pillar , and a number of tiles ; one of the tiles bears the arms of thc Bcauchamps Earls of Warwick , another a lion passant gardant , and the ethers bear some geometric patterns , but they do not equal in number , variety , and beauty , those found on the same spot many years ago , drawings of which are in the possession cfMr . J . T . Burgess , of Leamington .

Presentation To Sir Frederick. M. Williams, Bart., M.P.

PRESENTATION TO SIR FREDERICK . M . WILLIAMS , BART ., M . P .

On thc 4 U 1 inst . the members of thc Cornwall Rose Croix Chapter , TVuro , through their M . W . 3 ., Colonel John Whitehead Peard , 30 ° ( in open chapter ) , presented to the 111 . Bro . Sir . F . M . Williams , But ., M . P ., 32 , a handsome P . M . S . jewel , in appreciation cf his valuable

services as thc first M . W . S . of the Chapter . Notwithstanding his many duties Sir . F . M . Williams had never been absent from any assembly of the Chapter since its constitution , and not only had he presented thc furniture of the chapter , but in every nay possible , as M . W . S ., he had endeavoured to promote thc true interests of the Ancient and Accepted Rite , now firmly planted in

Cornwall . On the rjth inst . the members of the Centenary Lotlge of Fortitude assembled in large numbers to witness the presentation to the R . W . Bro . Sir F . M . Williams , Bart ., P . G . W ., and Representative eif the Grand Orient of Portugal , of a Deputy Prov . Grand Master's jewel of Cornwall , by the Senior l ' . ist Master , on behalf of the members

of the lodge , who thus desire to exhibit their appreciation of Sir F . M . Williams ' s devotion to Freemasonary in general , and his important and substantial aid to the Great Misonie Charities th . ; Local Masonic Annuity Fund , antl indeed , for any good Masonic work . The worthy Baronet in ' ri-p ' ysaid , that what little he hael done had been not only glanly rendered on behalf of the belovctl Craft , but the duty had proved a great pleasure .

The gift woultl be highly valued by him , and that evening was to him the most memorable in his Masonic career VV . Bro . William James Hughan was called upon by the brethren to speak , and in response to the demand presented brief sketches of what Sir Frederick M . Williams had achieved for Freemasonry , and his short , telling speeches were enthusiastically received . The jewels gave great satisfaction .

  • Prev page
  • 1
  • 11
  • You're on page12
  • 13
  • 14
  • Next page
  • Accredited Museum Designated Outstanding Collection
  • LIBRARY AND MUSEUM CHARITABLE TRUST OF THE UNITED GRAND LODGE OF ENGLAND REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER 1058497 / ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2025

  • Accessibility statement

  • Designed, developed, and maintained by King's Digital Lab

We use cookies to track usage and preferences.

Privacy & cookie policy