Skip to main content
Museum of Freemasonry

Masonic Periodicals Online

  • Explore
  • Advanced Search
  • Home
  • Explore
  • The Freemason's Chronicle
  • March 1, 1884
  • Page 1
  • Ar00101
Current:

The Freemason's Chronicle, March 1, 1884: Page 1

  • Back to The Freemason's Chronicle, March 1, 1884
  • Print image
  • Articles/Ads
    Article THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY. Page 1 of 2
    Article THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY. Page 1 of 2
    Article Untitled Page 1 of 1
Page 1

Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.

The History Of Freemasonry.

THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY .

( Continued from page 115 . ) "VTEXT after the particulars respecting tlie two principal JL 1 Scottish Lodges , we hare brief notices of the other more important Lodges on the roll of Scotland , the first in order being Canongate Kilwinning , No . 2 , of whose

establishment in Edinburgh by Mother Kilwinning we have already g iven some acconnt . The charter , which is rightlv designated by Bro . Gould as " the premier Scottish Warrant of Constitution , " reads thus : " At the ludge of Kilwining ,

the twentie day of december 1677 yeares , deacons and wardanes and the rest of the brethren , considering the love and favour showne to us be the rest of the brethren of the cannigate of Edinbroughe , ane part of our number being

willing to be boked and inroled the 9 ch day , gives power and liberty to them to enter , receave , and pass ony qualified persons that they think fitt , in name and behalf of the lodge of Killwinning , and to pay their entry and booking moneys due to the sd lodge , as we do our selves , they

sending on of ther number to us yearly , and we to do the lyke to them . if need be . The 91 k day ther names are insert into this book . " This document was signed by twelve brethren , and is " entered verbatim in the books of

the mother lodge , the original warrant being now lost . The lodge was " reorganised in 1735 by speculative Freemasons , " when " the members worked the third desrree , " and tbe date of its creation on the 20 th December 1677 is

acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Scotland . The next Lodge is the Scoon and Perth , No . 3 , which is recognised by Grand Lodge as having" existed before 1658 . " Its charter , dated December 24 , 1658 , we are told , "

combines the ' Old Charges ' with items of local interest , and also recites the ' Kilwinning' legends . The conclusion is given in full by Bro . Gould : " And Lastlie , wee , and all of ws off ane mynd , consent , and assent , doe bind and

obleidge ws and our successoris , to mantayne and wphold the haill liberties and previledges of the said Lodge of Scoon , as ane frie Lodge , for entering and passing within ourselves , asthebodie thereof , residing within the burgh of

Perth as sd is : And that soe long as the Sun riseth in the East and setteth in the West , as we wold wish the blessing of God to attend ws in all our wayesand actiones . " On the strength of a statement in the same record to the

effect that according to the " knowledge of our predecessoris ther cam one from the North countrie , named Johne Mylne , ane measone or man weill experted in his calling , who entered himselff both frieman and burges of

this brugh . " Bro . Gould gives the following particulars of the Mylne family , which during five successive generations maintained a connection with the Lodge of Edinburgh . It seems tbe third John Milne was called to

Edinburgh in 1616 to undertake the erection of the King ' s statue , and " on the death of William Wallace in 1631 , Milne was appointed master mason to Charles J ., which office he resigned in 1636 in favour of his eldest son , 1

Johne Mylne , younger , ' who , in 1633 , was made a fellow craft in the Lodge of Edinburgh , became ' deacon of the Lodge and warden ' in 1636 , and served in the former office for many years , having been re-elected ten times

The History Of Freemasonry.

during twenty-seven years . This same Mylne was at the Masonic meeting at Newcastle in 1641 , and his brother Alexander was ' passed ' Jane 2 , 1635 , in the presence of his ' brother' Lord Alexander , Sir Anthony Alexander , and Sir Alexander Strachan . Robert was apprenticed to

his uncle John in Lodge No . 1 , December 27 , 1653 , and was elected warden in 1663 , also deacon in 1581 , taking a leading part in masonic business until 1707 . Robert Mylne appears \ o have succeeded his uncle as master mason to Charles I ., ^> eing so designated in an agreement with the Perth

authorities for the re-building of the cross which had been removed from High Street , through the possession of the city by Cromwell . William , his eldest son , was received

into the Lodge of Edinburgh , December 27 , 1681 , and was Warden several times from 1695 , dying in 1728 . Thomas Mylne , eldest son of the latter , ' was entered and admitted as apprentice , December 27 . 1721 ; chosen Eldest Prentice

pecember 27 , 1722 ; admitted and received fellow-craft December 27 , 1729 •, and chosen ' master of the society , ' December 27 , 1735 . ' Noticing the connection of this

worthy with the Lodge of Edinburgh , Lyon points out the remarkable fact' of his having been entered in what may emphatically be termed the transition period of its existence , of his having been advanced during the masonic twilight which preceded the institution of the Grand Lodge of

Scotland—and of his having maintained a connection with the lodge until every vestige of its operative character had disappeared . Robert aud William Mylne ( sons of Thomas Mylne ) were also members of the lodge , and on the death

of the former in 1811 ( who was buried in St . Paul ' s Cathedral , having been surveyor of that edifice for fifty years ) , this family's connection with the Lodge of Edinburgh was terminated . " Bro . Gould believes this Scoon and Perth

Lodge joined the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1642 , when its date " before 1658 " was recognised . •We next come to the Lodge of " Glasgow St . John , " to which in 1850 fche Grand Lodge of Scotland accorded place on the roll as " No . 3 bis . " For this Lodge a very

remarkable antiquity has been claimed by some on the ground that the word " fraternity , " used in the so-called "charter , " means the lodge , while Bro . Gould reasonably enongh contends that it is intended manifestly "to describe a religious fraternity which had been formed to promote the renovation or restoration of the cathedral . The inference

that the charter referred to a masonic lodge appears to me wholly unwarranted by the context . " However , a " Seal of Cause" was required in 1600 for the purpose of separating the Wrights from the Masons as an Incorporation , and from Bro . Buchan , as quoted by the author , we gather

that the first notice in the minutes of tbe " Glasgow Incorporation of Masons" bears date the 22 nd September 1620 , and is to the following effect : " Entry of Apprentices to the Lodge of Glasgow , the last day of December 1613 years , compeared John Stewart , Deacon of Masons , and

signified to David Slater , Warden of the Lodge of Glasgow and to the remenant brethren of that Lodge , that he was to enter John Stewart , bis apprentice , in the said Lodge .

Lykas upon the morn , being the first day of January 1614 years , the said warden ancl brethren of the said Lodge entered the said John Stewart , younger , apprentice to the said John Stewart , elder , conform to the acts and liberty of the

Ar00101

iirxb S ( CSMFSRT ™ ) COCOA .

“The Freemason's Chronicle: 1884-03-01, Page 1” Masonic Periodicals Online, Library and Museum of Freemasonry, 29 Aug. 2025, django:8000/periodicals/fcn/issues/fcn_01031884/page/1/.
  • List
  • Grid
Title Category Page
THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY. Article 1
Untitled Article 1
Untitled Ad 2
CORRESPONDENCE. Article 3
ROYAL ARCH. Article 4
ROYAL MASONIC BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION. Article 5
Untitled Ad 7
Untitled Ad 7
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Ad 8
Untitled Article 8
QUARTERLY COMMUNICATION OF UNITED GRAND LODGE . Article 8
NOTICES OF MEETINGS. Article 9
ROSICRUCIAN SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. Article 11
Untitled Ad 11
DIARY FOR THE WEEK. Article 12
Untitled Ad 13
Untitled Ad 13
Untitled Ad 13
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 14
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
THE THEATRES, &c. Article 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 15
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Untitled Ad 16
Page 1

Page 1

3 Articles
Page 2

Page 2

3 Articles
Page 3

Page 3

2 Articles
Page 4

Page 4

3 Articles
Page 5

Page 5

2 Articles
Page 6

Page 6

1 Article
Page 7

Page 7

3 Articles
Page 8

Page 8

14 Articles
Page 9

Page 9

2 Articles
Page 10

Page 10

2 Articles
Page 11

Page 11

3 Articles
Page 12

Page 12

2 Articles
Page 13

Page 13

5 Articles
Page 14

Page 14

5 Articles
Page 15

Page 15

11 Articles
Page 16

Page 16

15 Articles
Page 1

Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.

The History Of Freemasonry.

THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY .

( Continued from page 115 . ) "VTEXT after the particulars respecting tlie two principal JL 1 Scottish Lodges , we hare brief notices of the other more important Lodges on the roll of Scotland , the first in order being Canongate Kilwinning , No . 2 , of whose

establishment in Edinburgh by Mother Kilwinning we have already g iven some acconnt . The charter , which is rightlv designated by Bro . Gould as " the premier Scottish Warrant of Constitution , " reads thus : " At the ludge of Kilwining ,

the twentie day of december 1677 yeares , deacons and wardanes and the rest of the brethren , considering the love and favour showne to us be the rest of the brethren of the cannigate of Edinbroughe , ane part of our number being

willing to be boked and inroled the 9 ch day , gives power and liberty to them to enter , receave , and pass ony qualified persons that they think fitt , in name and behalf of the lodge of Killwinning , and to pay their entry and booking moneys due to the sd lodge , as we do our selves , they

sending on of ther number to us yearly , and we to do the lyke to them . if need be . The 91 k day ther names are insert into this book . " This document was signed by twelve brethren , and is " entered verbatim in the books of

the mother lodge , the original warrant being now lost . The lodge was " reorganised in 1735 by speculative Freemasons , " when " the members worked the third desrree , " and tbe date of its creation on the 20 th December 1677 is

acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Scotland . The next Lodge is the Scoon and Perth , No . 3 , which is recognised by Grand Lodge as having" existed before 1658 . " Its charter , dated December 24 , 1658 , we are told , "

combines the ' Old Charges ' with items of local interest , and also recites the ' Kilwinning' legends . The conclusion is given in full by Bro . Gould : " And Lastlie , wee , and all of ws off ane mynd , consent , and assent , doe bind and

obleidge ws and our successoris , to mantayne and wphold the haill liberties and previledges of the said Lodge of Scoon , as ane frie Lodge , for entering and passing within ourselves , asthebodie thereof , residing within the burgh of

Perth as sd is : And that soe long as the Sun riseth in the East and setteth in the West , as we wold wish the blessing of God to attend ws in all our wayesand actiones . " On the strength of a statement in the same record to the

effect that according to the " knowledge of our predecessoris ther cam one from the North countrie , named Johne Mylne , ane measone or man weill experted in his calling , who entered himselff both frieman and burges of

this brugh . " Bro . Gould gives the following particulars of the Mylne family , which during five successive generations maintained a connection with the Lodge of Edinburgh . It seems tbe third John Milne was called to

Edinburgh in 1616 to undertake the erection of the King ' s statue , and " on the death of William Wallace in 1631 , Milne was appointed master mason to Charles J ., which office he resigned in 1636 in favour of his eldest son , 1

Johne Mylne , younger , ' who , in 1633 , was made a fellow craft in the Lodge of Edinburgh , became ' deacon of the Lodge and warden ' in 1636 , and served in the former office for many years , having been re-elected ten times

The History Of Freemasonry.

during twenty-seven years . This same Mylne was at the Masonic meeting at Newcastle in 1641 , and his brother Alexander was ' passed ' Jane 2 , 1635 , in the presence of his ' brother' Lord Alexander , Sir Anthony Alexander , and Sir Alexander Strachan . Robert was apprenticed to

his uncle John in Lodge No . 1 , December 27 , 1653 , and was elected warden in 1663 , also deacon in 1581 , taking a leading part in masonic business until 1707 . Robert Mylne appears \ o have succeeded his uncle as master mason to Charles I ., ^> eing so designated in an agreement with the Perth

authorities for the re-building of the cross which had been removed from High Street , through the possession of the city by Cromwell . William , his eldest son , was received

into the Lodge of Edinburgh , December 27 , 1681 , and was Warden several times from 1695 , dying in 1728 . Thomas Mylne , eldest son of the latter , ' was entered and admitted as apprentice , December 27 . 1721 ; chosen Eldest Prentice

pecember 27 , 1722 ; admitted and received fellow-craft December 27 , 1729 •, and chosen ' master of the society , ' December 27 , 1735 . ' Noticing the connection of this

worthy with the Lodge of Edinburgh , Lyon points out the remarkable fact' of his having been entered in what may emphatically be termed the transition period of its existence , of his having been advanced during the masonic twilight which preceded the institution of the Grand Lodge of

Scotland—and of his having maintained a connection with the lodge until every vestige of its operative character had disappeared . Robert aud William Mylne ( sons of Thomas Mylne ) were also members of the lodge , and on the death

of the former in 1811 ( who was buried in St . Paul ' s Cathedral , having been surveyor of that edifice for fifty years ) , this family's connection with the Lodge of Edinburgh was terminated . " Bro . Gould believes this Scoon and Perth

Lodge joined the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1642 , when its date " before 1658 " was recognised . •We next come to the Lodge of " Glasgow St . John , " to which in 1850 fche Grand Lodge of Scotland accorded place on the roll as " No . 3 bis . " For this Lodge a very

remarkable antiquity has been claimed by some on the ground that the word " fraternity , " used in the so-called "charter , " means the lodge , while Bro . Gould reasonably enongh contends that it is intended manifestly "to describe a religious fraternity which had been formed to promote the renovation or restoration of the cathedral . The inference

that the charter referred to a masonic lodge appears to me wholly unwarranted by the context . " However , a " Seal of Cause" was required in 1600 for the purpose of separating the Wrights from the Masons as an Incorporation , and from Bro . Buchan , as quoted by the author , we gather

that the first notice in the minutes of tbe " Glasgow Incorporation of Masons" bears date the 22 nd September 1620 , and is to the following effect : " Entry of Apprentices to the Lodge of Glasgow , the last day of December 1613 years , compeared John Stewart , Deacon of Masons , and

signified to David Slater , Warden of the Lodge of Glasgow and to the remenant brethren of that Lodge , that he was to enter John Stewart , bis apprentice , in the said Lodge .

Lykas upon the morn , being the first day of January 1614 years , the said warden ancl brethren of the said Lodge entered the said John Stewart , younger , apprentice to the said John Stewart , elder , conform to the acts and liberty of the

Ar00101

iirxb S ( CSMFSRT ™ ) COCOA .

  • Prev page
  • You're on page1
  • 2
  • 16
  • Next page
  • Accredited Museum Designated Outstanding Collection
  • LIBRARY AND MUSEUM CHARITABLE TRUST OF THE UNITED GRAND LODGE OF ENGLAND REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER 1058497 / ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2025

  • Accessibility statement

  • Designed, developed, and maintained by King's Digital Lab

We use cookies to track usage and preferences.

Privacy & cookie policy